Arikela Dosakaya Vada Koora
Table of Contents
For The Vada:
1) Raw Cucumber /Dosakaya (Grated) – 2 Cups
2) Kodo Millet/Arikelu – 1 Cup
3) Green Gram/Pesalu – 1 Cup
4) Bengal Gram Dal/Senagapappu – 1 Cup
6) Salt To Taste
7) Aashirvaad Koora Karam – 1.5 Teaspoons
8) Cumin Seeds- 1 Teaspoon
For The Curry /Koora:
1) Peanut/Palli – ½ Cup
2) Sesame Seeds – ½ Cup
3) Coconut Slices – ½ Cup
4) Aashirvaad Koora Karam – 2 Teaspoons
5) Salt To Taste
6) Turmeric Power- ¼ Teaspoon
7) Groundnut Oil – 3 Tablespoons
8) Finely Chopped Onions – ½ Cup
9) Cumin Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
10) Coriander Fruits – 1 Teaspoon
11)Tomato Puree- 3/4 Cup
11) Water – As Required
For the Vada:
1) soak the green gram in sufficient water for overnight. Then drain the water and keep aside
2) similarly, soak the kodo millet/arikelu in sufficient water for 4 hours. Also soak the Bengal gram dal in another container with water for 2 hours. Drain the water completely from the millet and bengal gram dal.
3) in the meanwhile, grate the raw cucumber/dosakaya and squeeze it carefully to drain the water from it
4) in a mixer jar, add the kodo millet, bengal gram dal, green gram . Ensure that there is no water in it. To this , add sliced ginger and cumin seeds. Make a coarse paste of it without pouring water.
5) transfer the coarse paste to a bowl. Add the grated cucumber /dosakaya , salt and aashirvaad koora karam and mix it well.
6) refrigerate it for 15 minutes so as to settle well.
7) In the meanwhile , heat oil in a pan. Make small balls of the vada batter. Slightly flatten the balls evenly in the form of a vada.
8) Deep fry the vada in oil until they turn golden in color. Ensure to fry them over a low-medium flame so that they turn little crispy from outside and cooked well from inside.
9) Transfer the fried vada into a plate.
For the Curry/Koora:
1) heat a pan. Dry roast the peanuts on a low flame till they turn light brown in color.
2) then , in the same pan, dry roast the sesame seeds over a medium flame until they turn golden in color.
3) transfer the roasted peanuts, roasted sesame seeds into a dry mixie jar. Add the coconut slices , salt to it. Make a smooth paste by adding little water to it.
4) heat groundnut oil in a kadai. Add sliced onions to it. Fry them until they turn golden brown in color. Then transfer the already prepared paste of groundnut-sesame-coconut to it
5) add turmeric powder and salt to it. Fry the mix until the oil starts oozing out of it.
6) then add tomato puree and little water to it . Allow it to cook for 5 minutes. Now add aashirvaad koora karam to it and cook it on a low flame until the gravy thickens.
7) turn off the flame. Transfer the prepared vada into the curry/koora.
8) arikela-dosakaya vada koora tastes good when served with biryani/hot steamed rice/roti/chapathi.
Eco Jivan Recipe Contest Winner